JOURNAL OF PURE AND APPLIED MICROBIOLOGY, vol.7, no.2, pp.1367-1371, 2013 (Peer-Reviewed Journal)
The incidence of nosocomial infections due to vancomycin-resistant enterococci(VRE) has been increasing dramatically and the treatment of these infections has been challenging. The aim of this study was to evaluated the activity of linezolid, daptomycin, quinupristin-dalfopristin and tigecycline against VRE isolates. One hundred VRE isolates collected from surveillance and clinical specimens of patients in the intensive care units(ICUs) and pediatric clinics of our hospital between April 2007 and February 2010, and as a control group, 30vancomycin-sensitive enterococci(VSE) isolates from blood or urine cultures were included in this study. All of the VRE isolates and 16(53.3%) of 30VSE isolates were identified as E.faecium, while the remaining 14(46.7%) isolates were identified as E.faecalis. The susceptibility patterns of the isolates to linezolid, daptomycin, quinupristin-dalfopristin and tigecycline were determined by the E-test method, and the MIC values were interpreted according to CLSI and for tigecycline EUCAST recommendations. The rates of susceptible isolates were 100%for daptomycin, 81%for linezolid, 75%for tigecycline and 20%for quinupristin-dalfopristin. All of the VSE isolates were susceptible to linezolid and daptomycin; 53%of them were susceptible to tigecycline; 47%were susceptible to quinupristin-dalfopristin. The most active agent against VRE isolates was daptomycin, followed by tigecycline and linezolid in our unit.