Campsite burial group from the Early Árpádian Age at Makó-Igási járandó – Kora Árpád-kori szállási temető Makó–Igási járandóban


Creative Commons License

Balogh C.

in: Népek és kultúrák a Kárpát-medencében. Tanulmányok Mesterházy Károly tiszteletére, Bollók Á.,Gergely K.,Kolozsi B.,Pető Zs.,Szenthe G., Editor, Magyar Nemzeti Múzeum, Budapest – Mta Btk Régészeti Intézet, Budapest, Budapest, pp.391-421, 2016

  • Publication Type: Book Chapter / Chapter Vocational Book
  • Publication Date: 2016
  • Publisher: Magyar Nemzeti Múzeum, Budapest – Mta Btk Régészeti Intézet, Budapest
  • City: Budapest
  • Page Numbers: pp.391-421
  • Editors: Bollók Á.,Gergely K.,Kolozsi B.,Pető Zs.,Szenthe G., Editor

Abstract

In 2008 was excavated a little cemetery consisting of ten graves. On the basis of the archaeological finds (a double-edged iron sword, tabbed buttons, (Orseolo) Péter I. (1038–1041, 1044–1046) denarius) and 14C measurements the cemetery seems to have been used from the thirties of the 11th century until the end of the century. The small number of the graves indicates that the community using the cemetery was also small. The DNA tests show that the community was certainly not organized on the basis of a matriarchal kinship relations. The sex ratio of the graves is very uneven: 7 men, 2 women and only one child. On the basis of this kind of majority of the men and the absence of children it may almost be excluded that this community had a normal family life. The outnumber of the men may be explained only by unmarried status of the men or a sudden abandonment of the cemetery. The cemetery of 10 graves was a burial ground from the Early Árpádian Age associated with an intermittenly occupied campsite. It was probably a burial place of the population of an accommodation surviving several generations or of some married slave colony (praedium). Next to the cemetery, a settlement form the Árpádian Age has also been explored, which is partly as old as the graves and can be dated to the 11th–12th centuries. It is likely that the first inhabitants of this settlement were buried in the immediate vicinity of their accommodation. The settlement, which at the beginning consisted of only a few houses, gradually increased and grown in size as a village. Therefore, at the end of the 11th century, the inhabitants abandoned the small cemetery and elsewhere, but probably near the settlement opened a new one.